Over time, gravity takes a tremendous toll on the skin and drags it down, causing skin to sag, but gravity is not the only cause. The causes of sagging skin are a decrease in collagen production, a decrease in skin cell production and free radical damage from the environment. You can incorporate habits into your daily routine to boost collagen and new cell production and fight free radicals.
1. Always apply lotions and creams with firm upward strokes. Areas such as the neck and the jawline are among the first places that skin sags. Incorporating upward strokes whenever you apply cosmetics can make a difference over time.
2. Separate the white of an egg and whisk gently. Apply the egg white to the face and neck and allow to dry for 15 minutes. Egg whites tighten the skin and are more effective than many lifting serums. Egg whites not only lift skin because of their natural astringent capabilities, they also refine and close large pores.
3. A popular remedy among celebrities to lift skin is hemorrhoid cream. Hemorrhoid cream contains shark liver oil and yeast which shrinks tissue and firms the skin for a lift within minutes. It is widely known for treating under eye bags, but it can also effectively shrink all forms of sagging skin. Snow Drift Farm, a youthful living website, suggests adding a dab of hemorrhoid cream to your moisturizers for skin that is firm and youthful.
4. Take a silica supplement. According to the article “Silica and Your Body,” silica hold moisture in the skin and is the main component of collagen. Silica plumps and lifts sagging skin on the face and body.
5. Eat a diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Remember that one of the causes of sagging skin is free radicals in the environment. Fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, E and beta carotene. These antioxidants fight free radicals found in the sun and pollution and repair skin damage.